Fix VNC Desktop Sharing on Ubuntu Desktop 14.04
After upgrading to Ubuntu Desktop 14.04; you can no longer remotely connect to Ubuntu over Desktop Sharing (VNC). This assumes you had it working fine and the only thing that changed was upgrading Ubuntu Desktop.
- Server did not offer supported security type!
- Malformed security...
- No matching security types
- No supported authentication methods
- type 18 TLS security enforced.
- type 2 VNC security not published by default
sudo apt-get -y install dconf-tools
dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/remote-access/require-encryption false
/usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable start
Solution 2 (GUI)
- Install dconf-editor
sudo apt install dconf-editor
- Launch dconf-edtor
- Use app search and search for dconf-editor
- Accept I will be careful
- Browse org | gnome | desktop | remote-access
- Toggle off Require Encryption
- Close Editor
- Restart Remote Desktop
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false
Figure out how to get the VNC client to support/work with type 18 TLS security.